The goal of Rams Against Hunger at Colorado State University is to serve as emergency food relief for Colorado State University undergraduate students experiencing food insecurity. Food insecurity broadly defined is “the state of being without reliable access to sufficient quantity of affordable, nutritious food.” Indicators of food insecurity include skipping meals due to lack of financial resources, cutting the size of meals due to lack of financial resources, experiencing hunger but not eating, the inability to afford balanced meals, and/or running out of food at the end of a pay period. According to a CSU survey conducted in the Fall of 2013, approximately 10% of students at Colorado State University experience food insecurity.
How it works
- Students apply for dining hall meals via the application on this website.
- Applications are evaluated by Student Financial Services (eligibility for the program is outlined below in the “eligibility” section).
- Applicants will be notified of their selection after no more than 1 week by the Assistant Director, Community Engagement & Volunteer Programs. Applications are accepted year-round.
- Selected applicants will receive 75 meals per semester on their RamCard. If an applicant applies mid semester, the number of meals they receive will be prorated. These meals are loaded electronically onto the recipient’s card. Recipients will be notified via email when their card has been loaded with meals and is ready to use in the residence hall dining centers.
- Recipients can swipe their RamCard at any CSU dining hall. Hours and locations of CSU dining centers can be found here.
- Recipients may reapply each semester.
- Undergraduate students enrolled at Colorado State University and registered for 6 or more credits
- Must have a valid RamCard (can be obtained at RamCard Office)
- Have an Expected Family Contribution of 10,000 or less based on Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or CSU ASSET Bill Institutional Aid Application.
- Must not currently have a meal plan at CSU Residential Dining Centers
- Priority will be given to students who have not received support from Rams Against Hunger previously.
For more information, email the Assistant Director, Community Engagement & Volunteer Programs or call 970-689-2175
Access the Student Application
More than 2,800 Colorado State University students experiences food insecurity each year. Their stories are often silent.
Rams Against Hunger serves as emergency food relief for our students. $6.50 provides the cost of a nutritious meal from one of our dining centers, $130 feeds a student for a month. Your support of Rams Against Hunger will ensure that food-insecure students have the resources to win against hunger, focus on their educations, and succeed in college, despite the odds.
One in ten Colorado State University students deals with food insecurity. Learn more about how you can help.