ASCSU and the Vice President of Student Affairs’ Parents’ Fund provides the financial contributions for the Travel Grant, which enables CSU students the opportunity for supplemental financial support while traveling to leadership, educational, and professional development events. The 2017-2018 Travel Grant was allotted $25,000 to distribute to CSU students requesting funding.
NOTE: This grant is designed to support leaders of RSOs and/or individual students to attend national, regional, or state conferences or meetings on academic subjects, contemporary educational issues, to represent an academic interest, to present a professional paper, or for leadership development.
More information about the Student Travel Grant is below, this is not a complete list of guidelines and exclusions, for the most complete list closely read before applying.
- Funds typically cover the cost of hotel accommodations, registration/conference fees, transportation (airfare, Motorpool, personal mileage), and reimbursement of travelers (the grant cannot reimburse pre-paid airfare by travelers)
- No international travel, summer travel, internship/externship travel is permitted.
- Students in their last semester are ineligible on an individual basis if the travel occurs within the last 7 weeks of the semester to which they are graduating. BUT – Group travel with graduating students is eligible for grant funding.
- No Student Travel Grant funds are transferred to Student Organization Financial Accounts (SOFAs)
- Bills are paid directly from the Travel Grant account, or if CSU Departments are providing additional funding for students applying for the Travel Grant – the CSU Department may be asked to take lead on handling the financial documents.
- There are monthly application deadlines and funding sessions occurring throughout the semester. If applications and consent forms are not received by the deadline, then students cannot receive funding. There are no exceptions. Please ensure you and/or your group members submit the necessary forms.
- Please review timelines carefully to be eligible to utilize Travel Grant funds. 2017-2018 funding will be awarded for travel occurring between September 21, 2017 and June 1, 2017 only. All 2017-2018 Travel Grant Applications and 2017-2018 Travel Grant Consent Forms must be submitted by the respective deadline (TOGETHER) for travel occurring at least 21 days later. Students without consent forms are not eligible to receive Travel Grant funding.
The SLiCE office processes travel documents of students when using funds from their SOFA. We do not process airline tickets for visiting speakers or performers. Honorarium payments for visiting speakers or performers should include any travel cost that the speakers or performers may incur.
When planning travel for a registered student organization (RSO), fill out a Traveler Information Form and a Request for Financial Document Form. All parts of the form must be completed, including estimates of all expenses. This form should then be emailed to SLiCE Accounting Tech, Lea Martin, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or brought into the SLiCE office to process.
Within seven days after the trip, complete a Post Trip Travel Form. Be sure to include all details as well as any additional expenses incurred. This form should be brought to the SLiCE office with all original travel receipts. If a traveler has expenses related to in-state mileage reimbursement, a Request for Financial Document Form must be completed and submitted to the SLiCE office for processing. In accordance with the Travel Services policy, all expenses must be completely routed through the Travel Services Office within 30 days of the trip date or the expenses will not be paid. It can take 30-60 days to receive a reimbursement for travel-related expenses.
Registered student organizations (RSOs) may utilize Transportation Services to rent vehicles and busses for trips on behalf of their student organization. Contact Motorpool to obtain an estimate of daily rental charges and mileage. The RSO should then complete a Request for Financial Document Form, requesting an Internal Order (IO) and bring it to the SLiCE office. Please allow for 10 business days to process the request in order to be approved. The SLiCE office will then contact Motorpool with the IO number to complete the reservation.
Within seven days after the trip, complete a Post Trip Travel Form. Be sure to include all details as well as any additional expenses incurred. This form should be brought to the SLiCE office with all original travel receipts. If a traveler has expenses related to in-state mileage reimbursement, a Request for Financial Document Formmust be completed and submitted to the SLiCE office for processing. In accordance with the Travel Services policy, all expenses must be completely routed through the Travel Services Office within 30 days of the trip date or the expenses will not be paid. It can take 30-60 days to receive a reimbursement for travel-related expenses.