Get to know the LSC Brand Markers: University Seal and Extension

Featured Brand Markers

Location: South Exterior Wall of Ballroom C, South Exterior Wall of Ballroom A

Colorado State University Seal reflects Land-Grant Mission

The CSU Seal closely resembles the state of Colorado seal, but the University’s seal includes the words education, service, extension, and research that highlight  attributes the University finds most reflective of the land-grant mission. Both seals contain the eye of god within a pyramid, which is placed above a bundle of elm rods bound together with a projecting axe blade. The axe blade represents strength, authority, and leadership; qualities that both CSU and the state of Colorado have identified as important in their dedication to progress.

Since its founding in 1870, CSU has experienced a few name changes. Colorado Agricultural College welcomed its first students in 1879, and by 1935, the University was known as Colorado State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts (Colorado A&M). Eventually the school was renamed in 1957 to Colorado State University, and offered a diverse curriculum and more advanced degrees.

 

Extension Services:

In 1879, the Extension Services of Colorado State University were established as early off-campus farmers’ institutions. Throughout the century, services provided by Extension Services have been essential to the survival of the communities within the state, especially during the Great Depression. Extension Services has created programs through a combination of local and federal government aid, and helped with the the dissemination of important agricultural and home economic information that improved the quality of life throughout the state. By attending to the issues of rural populations, projects like the Human Wildlife Interaction Program and Water Management Project prove that the effects of the CSU’s Extension Services have been far-reaching.

 

 

Introducing Brand Markers to Illustrate Key Moments and Events

Brand Markers illustrating Colorado State’s history serve to draw attention to important developments in the University’s past. Brand Markers are four inch metal discs engraved with images that capture specific instances or represent an event or person.  They are ways to commemorate the CSU community as a whole outside of the Lory Student Center, and they celebrate accomplishments that directly affect the University’s community. Fort Collins and Colorado State have built their  communities and cultures around one another, and they have grown together since our land-grant university’s founding in 1870.

Each symbol  celebrates key moments and significant events  in the community’s past while promoting the land-grant mission. We are honored to be representing this shared history. Brand Markers are located throughout the LSC and we will be featuring a new set every two weeks on the website and the Digital Displays.

 

About the Lory Student Center

The Lory Student Center is proud to foster an environment that honors and respects all members of the University community, and creates a friendly, inviting destination for students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests. We are proud to be the gathering place for the campus community, and to offer vibrant social, educational, recreational, and cultural activities that stimulate discussion and debate.