The LSC Arts Program would like to announce the 2018 installment of the annual Student Art Exhibition. This exhibition, which is the longest running annual event through the LSC Arts Program, highlights the artistic achievements of CSU’s undergraduate and graduate students while allowing students to showcase their artwork in a temporary exhibit. Additionally, several pieces may be selected to be purchased for the LSC Art Program’s collection. An opening reception to showcase artworks and celebrate participants will take place Tuesday, November 27th from 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm in the Curfman Gallery. All CSU students are eligible to enter a variety of two- and three-dimensional artworks for the show, which will take place in the Curfman Gallery November 27th to February 9th. All forms of media are eligible for submission. Submissions will be due by 11:59pm on Wednesday, October 24th.
Students may submit up to 3 images or video files of work completed within the last 18 months. If selected for the exhibition, work must be delivered to the Curfman Gallery by Wednesday, November 4th, 2018. Upon drop-off work must be ready to be displayed.
This year’s juror is Bobbi Walker, of Denver’s Walker Fine Art. Bobbi Walker founded Walker Fine Art in 1999, and opened the gallery space in June of 2002. She has been actively involved in the arts community in Denver for the last 15 years. In 2012 Bobbi was appointed to the Denver Commission on Cultural Affairs and has just completed her 6th year as a commissioner. She is a Young Associates level member of the Denver Art Museum (DAM), and served on the Board of the DAM Contemporaries for 3 years. Bobbi holds a BA and an MBA in marketing from the University of Kentucky. Walker Fine Art exhibits nationally and regionally renowned artists who represent the leading edge of Abstraction and Realism through Mixed Media, Photography, Sculpture, and Installation.
Submission to this juried exhibition is free to all Colorado State University Students.
For more information about how to enter and photograph artwork for the exhibition visit the LSC Art’s web page at: lscarts.colostate.edu
Dates to Remember:
Applications due: 11:59pm on Wednesday, October 24th
Opening reception: Tuesday, November 27th, 4:30 to 6:00pm
Exhibition dates: Tuesday, November 27th – Friday, February 9th
Original artwork including paintings, drawings, prints, photography, sculpture, graphic design, ceramics, mixed and digital media may be submitted. Two-dimensional works must be ready to hang. Three-dimensional works must be stable.
Click here to learn how to format your images for CaFE.
How to Photograph Your Art
Photographing your artwork is a basic skill that any artist needs to master in this age of technological opportunity. Below are a number of links to some great sources for learning to photograph your work. The most important thing to remember is that you’re representing your hard work and yourself as an artist with these photographs- put some work into the images and it will make a huge difference in the way people receive your work.
- You are in control of the image- compose the image so that we see it in the most positive light.
- Details of important elements within the work can be very important- feel free to include those details as separate images, but usually no more than 2 details per work.
- You are representing the work with the photograph- don’t try to make the piece something it isn’t with a photograph. Most exhibiting venues will not accept an artwork that looks vastly different than the image.
- Photoshop is awesome, we know. That being said, don’t do too much post production work on the image- seeing your awesome sculpture in a field of unicorns and kittens will not make the sculpture any more awesome.
- Use a real camera (not your phone) if you can. Good lenses make for better images.