Emily C. Ambrose
SLiCE, Assistant Director Training and Development
What do you enjoy doing when you are not working?
This is cliché: I incredibly enjoy working! I get to live my purpose, work with others who have shaped me along the way, and strive to positively impact those with whom I come in contact. And, when I’m not working, I cuddle with my dog Stella, I Salsa dance, I binge-watch Netflix (most recently “Madam Secretary”), and love on the people who mean most to me.
What are the values that drive you?
Personally, I feel very connected to our CSU Principles of Community. In addition to the five interwoven values, I hold JOY, inclusion, adventure, and self-awareness very highly.
What has been your career progression? What have you learned at each step that has lead you to where you are today?
This is a HUGE question! How long do I have?
To keep it short and sweet:
- Knew I wanted to be in education when I did a project on Teen Pregnancy
- Serving as a Fraternity & Sorority Life Student Coordinator at CU Boulder (with John Henderson!)
- Collegiate Leadership Consultant for an international sorority
- Graduate School at CSU/Graduate Coordinator for the President’s Leadership Program
- Program Coordinator in SLiCE
- Assistant Director for the Pride Resource Center
- Assistant Director for Training & Development in SLiCE for the LSC … PHEW!
Some general lessons I learned:
- Be kind, genuine, and as transparent as possible
- Apologize when necessary; own impact
- Show up for people and follow-through (still working on this)
- If at all possible, continue to love what you do each day
- When you’re stressed, practice gratitude (thanks, Anupama!)
How do you maintain work/life balance?
I have mixed feelings about the statement and concept. However, I find joy in my life inside and outside of CSU by doing the following:
– Ensuring there are things in my future to look forward to
– Remembering my relationships are ultimately what are important in life
– Maintaining some very rewarding side-hustles, which include raft guiding, couples coaching, and wedding officiating
Where would you like to go on vacation if you had a month off and money was no object?
To CSU’s Todos Santos Center in Mexico to practice and learn more Spanish.
What are your career aspirations?
Be in the present and say YES to opportunities which come and make sense for where I am in life. To cultivate and sustained sense of JOY and PURPOSE in my life and the lives of others.
What are some of your personal goals for the position you hold within the LSC?
I want to build on the foundation already created by the folks in the LSC working on training and development. I hope to infuse the Principles of Community into the ways we develop our student leaders – finding purpose and meaning in each of the jobs in and for the Lory Student Center.