Remote Work Virtual Professional Development Opportunities
The SHAPE ProDevo Asynchronous options are available continuously for you! And previous workshops can be found on the SHAPE YouTube Channel
The offerings continue to align with the Student Employee Learning Objectives, along with other helpful content:
- Leadership and Teamwork
- Intercultural Fluency
- Decision Making and Problem Solving
- Workflow Planning
- Career Specific Knowledge
These are intended to supplement projects your supervisor and you have agreed upon and meant to fit within the allotted hours decided by your supervisor. These offerings will change and shift based on feedback from you all as we go. Again, feedback is welcomed and encouraged: email@example.com
Asynchronous ProDevo Opportunities
Access whenever your schedule allows. Track your hours to send to your supervisor.
- The S.T.O.P. Practice: Creating Space Around Automatic Reactions | Article | Rhonda Magee | (~15 mins. read & listen)
- 6 Ways to Deal with Conflict and Disagreement when you Work Remotely | Article | Matt Bowers-Zapier (~10 mins.)
- The Power of Decision-Making | TED Talk Video | Benedikt Ahlfeld (20 mins.)
- 9 Virtual Team Building Activities for Your Remote Team | YouTube Video | Magnetic Speaking (20 mins.)
- If You Suddenly Work Remotely, Communication Matters More than Anything Else | Article | Monica Torres (20 mins. read)
- Grocery Shopping Tips in COVID-19 | YouTube Video | Dr. Jeffrey VanWingen (15 mins.)
- How to Budget from Paycheck to Paycheck | YouTube Video | Shay Budgets (20 mins.)
- How to Use SMART Goals: Achieve More in Less Time | Richard Feenstra | Udemy (20 mins.)
- Photography Fundamentals for Beginners | Phil Ebiner | Udemy (1 hour)
- You’re Always On: Your Career Development Cycle | Greg Shirley | Greg Shirley | TEDxUTA (20 mins.)
- The First 20 Hours – How to Learn Anything | Josh Kaufman | TEDxCSU (20 mins.)
Understand Microsoft TEAMS & Zoom
- “To Survive on this Shore: Photographs and Interviews with Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Older Adults” | Critic & Artist Residency Series: Jess T. Dugan | Gregory Allicar Museum of Art (~1 hour)
- How to Cope with Bad News Overload | Article | Paula Felps (~15 mins. read)
- Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance | TED Talk Video | Angela Lee Duckworth (10 mins.)
- The Secrets of People who Love their Jobs | TEDxTalk Video | Shane Lopez (25 mins.)
- What I Learned from 100 Days of Rejection | TED Talk | Jia Jiang (15 mins.)
*We invite you to also consider the other side of the “rejection” – what putting folks into an ethical dilemma of saying “yes/no” may look like and how privilege shows up.
- Body Language, Presence & Poise for Leaders | LeaderShape Webinar| Tricia Homer (1 hour / requires “sign-up”)
- Say Yes to Less: Why It Matters and How to Do It | LeaderShape Webinar| Jeffrey Cufaude (1 hour / requires “sign-up”)
- All It Takes is 10 Mindful Minutes | TED Talk Video | Andy Puddicombe (10 mins.)
- How to Use Others’ Feedback to Learn and Grow | TEDxTalk Video | Sheila Heen (20 mins.)
- How to Regain My Motivation Back | YouTube Video | Sadhguru (10 mins.)
- We’re All Anxious Right Now: Here’s How to Cope | Harvard Business Review (5 mins.)
- Leveling Up: Practicing Resilience to Live a Life of Vibrance | LeaderShape Webinar| Dr. Tanya Williams (1 hour / requires “sign-up”)
- How to Actually Work…When You’re Working from Home | YouTube Video | Harvard Business Review (5 mins.)
- Top 10 Work from Home Productivity Tips | YouTube Videos | Pat Flynn (20 mins.)
- Work from Home Habits || Stay Productive and Organised | YouTube Video | Erin May Henry (15 mins)
YOU@CSU | Optional Content through the CSU Health Center (15 mins. – 3 hrs.)
Browse through the different avenues of YOU@CSU, track your time and learning, and send it to your supervisor!
- Do different “Reality Checks”
- 6 Ways to Help Healthcare Workers
- Activity & Movement: Online-Learning Edition
Harvard Business Review | YouTube Channel | Watch and track different videos based on the LSC Employee Learning Objectives
MOOC: How to Learn Online | edX | 2 weeks, 2-3 hours/week
MOOC: Japanese Pronunciation for Communication | Waseda University | 5 weeks, 3-5 hours/week
MOOC: Activism and Citizen Journalism through Media | University of the Witwatersrand | 4 weeks, 2-3 hours/week
MOOC: The Future of Work – Preparing for Disruption | World Bank Group | 5 weeks, 3-5 hours/week
MOOC: Programming for Everybody | University of Michigan | 7 weeks, 2-4 hours/week
MOOC: Storytelling in the Workplace | Rochester Institute of Technology | 3 weeks, 4-6 hours/week
What is a “MOOC”?
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) are free online courses available for anyone to enroll. MOOCs provide an affordable and flexible way to learn new skills, advance your career and deliver quality educational experiences at scale. (mooc.org)
Catch up on SHAPE Virtual Workshops or Lunch w/ Leadership series you may have missed! (1 – 4 hrs.)
If few to none of these make sense for you, work with your supervisor to generate ideas for online/other opportunities. Again, all of these opportunities are in addition to projects your supervisor may have assigned to you.
NOTE: Many YouTube videos have the “CC” for closed captioning at the bottom of the screen. Also, much of the materials and content is not produced by Colorado State and you may have feedback about the content. That is welcomed. Share it with firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracking/Clocking-In During Your ProDevo Activities
Before beginning, communicate with your supervisor regarding how many hours per week you may work and how they would like you to communicate with them.. Because these opportunities are shared with multiple departments with different reporting structures, there will be different requirements. Clock in during the time you’re engaging in ProDevo opportunities; send a follow-up email to your supervisor outlined below.
For information on how to remotely clock-in through TimeClock Plus, click HERE.
Many of these opportunities require trust and integrity on the employee’s part. Please only report what you actually completed. Consider this as important as our standards for Academic Integrity.
Supervisor Email Language to Copy/Paste:
Hello [Supervisor’s Name],
I participated in the following professional development experience(s) through the SHAPE Training & Talent Development program.
|ProDevo Activity||Date||Hours||1-2 Learning Take-Aways|
This email is my commitment that the above activities and hours were completed.