C.A.N.S Around the Oval is a Colorado State University tradition, where students, faculty, and staff partner with local community members, schools, and organizations to raise awareness about hunger by collecting food goods and raising monetary donations for the Food Bank for Larimer County. Cans Around the Oval started as a canned food drive. C.A.N.S Around the Oval has now evolved into a fund and food drive asking donors for C.A.N.S “cash and nutritious staples” (including online monetary donations and healthy non-perishable food items) to enhance the quality and quantity of food better meeting community needs.
CANS Kickoff Week: September 16 – 20, 2019
CANS Collection Day: October 16, 2019 | CSU Oval | 10 am – 4 pm | for in-person donations, online donations accepted until 5 pm
RegisterThere are numerous ways to CANtribute to C.A.N.S Around the Oval - from individual engagement and group competitions aiming to raise the most donations, to volunteering the day of and spreading awareness about the Impacts of hunger and food insecurity throughout your community.
Important DatesReady to do your part? Get organized for 2018 Cans Around the Oval. You can make a difference in the lives of thousands of Larimer County residents. Click here for important dates and times.
History of CansDid you know that Cans Around the Oval began as part of a student interview with the first Director of the Food Bank for Larimer County? Click here to learn more about this philanthropic, CSU tradition.
What is C.A.N.S. Around The Oval Kickoff Week?
For one week, at the start of the month-long program, you can register a team for the competition, start collecting funds and goods as an individual, begin donating online, gather materials, and learn of program updates and best practices via the new “How to CANtribute” training.
Who Can Participate?
- CSU Departments, Offices, & College
- CSU Student Groups
- Fort Collins Businesses/Non-profits
- Faith-Based Community Organizations
- Individual students, faculty, staff, and community members
- Residence Life
- K-12 Community Schools
Do we have to compete to be a part of cans?
You do not have to enter a competition to participate in C.A.N.S. Around the Oval! You can simply donate online during the month-long event. Or, you can drop off funds and goods to the SLiCE office any time before Collection Day, or at The Oval on Collection Day. We ask you still register online, so we may properly thank you for your CANtributions. You can also volunteer with SLiCE for World Hunger Day. Either join us at The Oval for C.A.N.S. Around the Oval Collection Day or volunteer for SLiCE’s Rams Against Hunger: Meal Swipe Program and be in the residence halls to raise funds for CSU students experiencing food insecurity.
The C.A.N.S. Around the Oval Competition provides CSU students, faculty and staff, as well as local schools, businesses/non-profits, faith-based community organizations, and community groups to add an element of fun to this funds and food drive. This friendly-competition has developed over the years as the event grows. Because of the popularity of the competition, we develop a set of guidelines to ensure all groups’ totals are properly counted and recorded.
How do I collect food and funds?
- CANvas throughout neighborhoods
- Compete as a team in the C.A.N.S. Around the Oval competition
- Coordinate your own mini food-drive/fund-drive
- Donate online or give cash
- Learn of the changes to the event this year
- Offer a “Penny Wars” challenge at your work/school/residence hall
- Recruit local businesses to donate, match proceeds, be a collection site
- Share SLiCE posts and/or create your own on social media
- Spread awareness about the impacts of hunger within Larimer County
- Volunteer for World Hunger Day with SLiCE
- And More!
- There are so many creative ways to collect donations, these are merely suggestions. Do what you CAN to make the most of your drive and do it your way!