The Lory Student Center Governing Board Constitution
The Colorado State University Charles A. Lory Student Center is the community center of the University, serving students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests. Its stated purpose is:
- The Lory Student Center Governing Board is committed to developing and reviewing the use of the Lory Student Center including, but not limited to, policies affecting our University community. Such policies should enhance the educational environment of the campus community by supporting the LSC Mission.
ARTICLE I – NAME
This organization shall be known as the Lory Student Center Governing Board of Colorado State University; also referred to as the LSC Governing Board or LSCGB.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
It is the purpose of the Lory Student Center Governing Board within the policy power granted to it by the Colorado State University System Board of Governors to formulate, initiate, and review the following:
- General policy regarding the operation and future planning of the Lory Student Center.
- Procedural policy related to the use of the Lory Student Center facilities.
- Policy related to the regulation of the activities, members, guests, and organizations using the facilities.
- Policy related to the suspension of use, or denial of privileges for students or student organizations using the facilities, provided such action does not supersede University regulations.
It is not the purpose of the Lory Student Center Governing Board to extend its policy power to legal, fiscal, or personnel matters that have been predetermined by the State Board of Governors.
The Lory Student Center Governing Board is empowered to grant exceptions to Center policies when they are merited.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Active membership is open to all CSU students with a right to vote and hold office. Associate (community members)/Alumni members may vote or hold office. Membership of the Lory Student Center Governing Board shall be defined by the By-Laws of that Board, but shall include:
- The Executive Director of the Lory Student Center – Advisor.
- A Graduate Assistant or professional staff member of the Lory Student Center – Co-Advisor.
The chairperson for the Lory Student Center Governing Board shall be a student selected by the Board in accordance with its By-Laws.
The advisors do not have the right to vote.
As a recognized student organization at Colorado State University the Lory Student Center Governing Board shall not deny membership to any student,employee or guest on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
ARTICLE IV – RECALL
To remove a member or officer, adequate written notice to that person (7 days minimum) is required.
ARTICLE V – VETO POWER OF THE STUDENT CENTER EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The Student Center Executive Director may veto Lory Student Center Governing Board policies if such policies are believed to not be in the best interests of the total Student Center operation and/or the University. Such a veto may be overruled by an appeal to the Vice President for Student Affairs, whose decision is considered final.
ARTICLE VI – AMENDMENTS
Amendments to this constitution may be amended at any regular business meeting of the organization by notice of such amendment, given in writing, one (1) meeting prior to its consideration.
Amendments must be sponsored by at least two (2) members of the Lory Student Center Governing Board.
Amendments must be passed by two-thirds of the membership of the Lory Student Center Governing Board.
ARTICLE VII – BY-LAWS
The Lory Student Center Governing Board may recommend such By-Laws for adoption as are necessary and proper for the efficient operation of the Lory Student Center Governing Board.
Amendments to the By-Laws may be proposed by notice of such amendments, given in writing, one (1) meeting prior to its consideration.
By-Laws and amendments to the By-Laws will become effective immediately upon passage by a two-thirds vote of the Lory Student Center Governing Board.
No By-Laws or amendments to By-Laws shall be contrary to, nor overrule any section of this constitution.